April 21, 2008

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Paper Trimmers

I subscribe to a few scrapping magazines. Two of them I've loved for years and have always gotten a TON of inspiration from them, until recently. I flip through their pages in record time and come away with little in the way of fresh ideas or inspiration. Is it just me or have you noticed that too?

I think this comes down to two things.
  1. I've become more comfortable with my creativity. I've gotten an embarrassing amount of recognition lately and that makes me feel like I can do anything!
  2. I actively seek inspiration from non-scrapping sources. Seems the more I stay away from the "tried and true" formulaic projects that are published in the magazines the better I feel about my work.
I'm not afraid to put myself out there at all. I've unabashedly contacted manufacturers, designers and other sources that I believe can be helpful to me. I've learned that the key to being successful is to market yourself, and I've come up with a plan to do just that. I'm really excited about it!!

I've had several friends joke about knowing me when [I'm a nobody] and I laugh. They are so out there! But, what if they're not? I can tell you one thing, you can't achieve goals unless you reach for them and that includes putting yourself outside of your comfort zone. (I'm so there right now!)

I try to be confident (and most of the time I'm just in disbelief about any praise I receive) but I have a dream, and for today, I believe that dream can become reality.

The scrapping community sometimes feels like an unswimmable sea, but it really isn't. I can't tell you how many people I've come into contact with that I knew "back in the day" and I remember you and I will say hello. Don't be afraid to let others know if you love someone's work. With that kind of spirit and pay it forward thinking we can become "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Paper Trimmers." Care to join?



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...