December 29, 2011

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - End of 2011

I can't believe 2011 is winding down.  It has been a marvelous year!  I am also excited for 2012 because I have a personal project I will be working on in the month of January and sharing on this blog.   More about that next week.  :o)

First off, a little gripe.  Movie ratings.  When exactly did the movie ratings get so whacked?  My kids are 10 and 13 now so once in awhile we find it nice to enjoy a movie together.  Problem is, I have yet to find a PG-13 rated movie that is not completely inappropriate for children.   We recently sat down to watch Little Fockers together.   We know that this movie series does get a bit risque and were prepared for some of that but in the first 10 minutes alone there was discussion of erectile dysfunction, condoms, sexual positions, sexual appetite and a drawing of a penis.  We turned the movie off.  Luckily most of this went over the kids' heads but it just leaves me wondering who in the heck comes up with these ratings?  I know it is also common to find swearing on daytime television these days.  Where does it end?  It has been very challenging to expose the kids to these more "mature" movies in a gradual & appropriate way.  If you have any advice, please share.  Otherwise I think we'll be sticking to PG and G rated movies for awhile longer. 

Last week I read about a girl named Katie Davis on one of the blogs I subscribe to.  Katie is 22 years old and is incredibly inspiring.  When I watch this video she just appears to glow and she inspires and humbles me with her courage.  Please do take the time to watch Katie explain her mission.  You may want to grab a few tissues first.

Catalyst Atlanta 2011 | Katie Davis from Catalyst on Vimeo.

There are many other videos about Katie and Amazima Ministries on YouTube that are well worth the time to watch. 

Now, an update on us.  We had an excellent Christmas spending time with both sides of the family, enjoying a wide variety of delicious food and drink and lots of laughter.  I was really wiped out on Monday!

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from this past week:
K's Winter Strings Concert
December 22, 2011

He adores playing the viola and often practices on his own.  He has also converted some recorder music to his viola by reading the keys.

K's "big" gift this year - a new alarm clock / radio with mood light and nature sounds that she can dock her iPod in.

Left by Santa in her stocking - Reindeer Peeps.  Aren't they precious?  Other gifts she received this year, Just Dance 3 and Cooking Mama for Wii, Mario Kart for DS, iTunes gift card, Pirates of the Caribbean DVD, lots of drawing stuff, three books, Target gift card, perfume, money and candy.

Hubby received gourmet maple syrup and lots of martial arts books.

Awww....my guys.  I had to take this pic several times because neither of them wanted to give me a nice smile.

K's "big" gift from us--Madden NFL 12 for Wii.  Other gifts he received include Spore Hero and Star Wars for the Wii, Mario Kart for the DS, two books (Kingdom Keepers and the 2012 Guinness Book of World Records), a remote controlled helicopter, Power Rangers, Hex Bugs, iTunes gift card, money, Target gift card, a giant Nerf dart gun and candy,

My gift - some snazzy new sheepskin slippers.  Aren't they sexy?  I/we also received Chili's and Kohl's gift cards, liquor (Rum-Chata, which if you haven't tasted it is delicious!), a frame with our last name hand crocheted inside of it, a carving set and for White Elephant gift exchange we ended up with a pasta dinner set for two, Paula Deen's cupcake mix, water bottle, cozy socks and a Justin Beiber blanket.  (This resulted from many underhand dealings after the gift opening.)

So, plans to ring in the New Year?  We will probably stay at home again this year unless I can find something family appropriate yet fun for all.  Until next year...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...