December 1, 2011

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - Grace Creates Unity

In case you are zipping through my blog, please take a moment to click on the link at the end of my post.  If I could ask everyone in the world to listen to this message I would.  

I can't believe it's been a month since my last update.  Time sure does fly! 

I had a mini meltdown the weekend before Thanksgiving that resulted in some tears and much-needed conversation between me and my family.  In short, I was feeling unloved and lonely.  Those are the feelings I've struggled with the most in my life.  Having a few years of therapy has helped tremendously and I've gotten much better at asking for things or seeking out the things I feel I'm lacking.  That weekend though I failed miserably.  I told my family I wouldn't be spending Thanksgiving with them after all because I felt so pushed down on everyone else's priority list.   I was fed up with feeling that way.

Long story short, I had a talk with each of my family members and - on my end at least - things feel settled. 

Thanksgiving did turn out to be really good.  I did visit my family for a short while that morning, and then had lunch on Hubby's side of the family.  The best part of the day was that I got to see both of my brothers and my parents as well as Hubby's side of the family.  To me, family is extremely important and I would give up almost anything to preserve that bond. 

That is part of the reason I think this time of year is a struggle for me emotionally.  People get so busy and so obsessed with buying things.  I continue to be amazed at the amount of stuff that gets exchanged.  Life is not about stuff.  I have stuff, and I continue to buy stuff, but my life has never been about acquiring more stuff.   I would freely give this all up if it meant having a better, closer relationship with my friends and family. 

This is what has been on my mind lately and (as usual) our church sermon was incredibly timely.  This is a must listen, particularly at this time of year:  Grace Creates Unity.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...