March 15, 2012

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - Cupcakes Flopped

I was listening to Prince's Greatest Hits on Saturday when my daughter asked me, "Mom is that old time music?"  I said, "Why, do you think it sounds old?" and she said "Yes."  Damn did that make me feel old.  I then realized that she's only known music with hip hop influence, nothing rock 'n roll, so it made sense for her to not recognize that type of music.  Funny moment!


On Saturday I made two types of cupcakes preparing for Hubby's 40th birthday party.  I tested caramel toffee crunch and red velvet cupcakes (both from scratch).  The first batch of caramel toffee cupcakes were a complete bust.
completely sunken in the middle.  I Googled that problem and the answers were consistent, wrong temperature or opening oven door during baking, both of which I had done.  I threw these away and made another batch, only this time a half batch.


Both kinds are yummy but I actually like the red velvet more.  It is very chocolatey tasting.  I think we'll be making both of these for the party and maybe a yellow box mix one too.


The weather this week has changed for the better, now in the upper 60's and low to mid-70's.  I love this time of year!  I spend a lot of time outside enjoying the sunshine and watching the chickens roam the yard.


My son had an interesting end to last week with a new boy in his class giving him $50 in exchange for my son's French toast stick.  Luckily he mentioned it right away at pick up time and Daddy took the money to a teacher to be returned to the boy's father.  My son said this boy actually had $150 in his pocket!  Apparently the boy has had some issues and early this week was suspended for an unrelated infraction. 


Hubby made the best-ever venison chops this week.  I can take or leave venison and it is really hard to cook it well, but this was WONDERFUL.  So good that I picked the meat from the bone.  His secret?  Marinating the chops in buttermilk overnight.  The venison was so tender and flavorful.  If you eat venison you have to give this a try.  You'll thank me later.


My mom spent the weekend and early part of the week in the hospital.  It was worrisome because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her.  High fever for many days, bad, painful cough, not getting enough oxygen and very dehydrated.  After a battery of tests and almost 4 days in the hospital they determined she has the rhinovirus.  This is not good timing as she has been very busy (and stressed!) trying to plan my Grandma's funeral. 


Here's to a wonderfully eventful week ahead for us all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...