August 1, 2007


(Shhhh....I know I'm a day early but...I had to share!)

OMG...where does the time go? I mean, seriously, it's been
THREE weeks since I've posted. I'm so sorry I haven't kept in touch better. No time like the present, eh?

I'm a new mom to Milo, a mini Aussie we picked up on Saturday. Isn't he the cutest?

We made the long drive to Hudson, WI (near Mpls/St. Paul) last Saturday to pick him up. We didn't tell the kids what we were doing. Katie had spent the night at a friend's house so I talked to her mom about our plans for the day and asked if she could keep her until we got back so Korbin was the first one to be surprised. We left home around 7:15 AM and got back home around 4:45 PM. We had to stop a lot, every hour on the way up and nearly as often on the way back. Milo did great in the car. I was amazed.

Korbin had just fallen asleep as we pulled into Hudson so he was pretty dazed once we reached Willow River Farm. He loved petting all of the animals, but didn't "get" that we were there to bring an animal home. He was quite nonchalant about the whole thing.

Once we got home Korbin and I spent some time playing in the backyard with Milo and Kevin went to pick up Katie. When she came in the house and saw dog toys she was totally confused. Kevin told her to go look outside. I have to say her excitement totally made up for Korbin's sleepy surprise earlier in the day.

I wasn't in a rush to name him but we were tossing around a bunch of names. Kate was funny because every name she picked was food related: chocolate, smores, snickers. Hmm...and this girl isn't even a chocolate freak like Korbin and I. Anyway, the name Milo just popped into my head and we knew it was meant to be his name.

Milo is 8 weeks old and is very, very good! He's a super fast learner and has adjusted very well to our house. The cats are another story, but we'll get to them in a minute. The first night we brought him home he was up every 2 hours to go outside. He's adapted better and now I'm only getting up once a night.

He loves to be around us and will follow us all over the house. It sure makes it easy to keep track of him. Outside is the same way. We could easily train him to walk without a leash. This need to be around people has made it harder for him to adjust to being alone during the day.

He also had a very poor tummy on Sunday and was very lethargic. We were concerned but he perked up later on in the evening. We took him to the vet anyway for a health check and they found that he has a parasite and that was probably the cause of his tummy issues. He's on meds now and is doing great.

The cats absolutely freaked when he came into the house. They've done nothing but hiss - and neither of them are big hissers. Milo takes it all in stride and usually barks at them trying to get them to play with him. For now he gives the cats the dominance they want Each day they've come closer to each other and can now pass each other without hissing, but the cats are still not ready to call him a friend. I'm sure this will happen soon. Milo needs a playmate and they will enjoy him.

Post a Comment
There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...