June 24, 2010

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - Father's Day and Eminem

HAPPINESS - We spent this past weekend celebrating our fathers.  We stayed with Hubby's dad overnight, went out for Chinese (actually WALKED to the restaurant...I really love small towns!) and then watched Matilda and A Fish Called Wanda.  My daughter and I snuggled up under a quilt in a recliner while eating a huge bowl of yummy popcorn. Bliss!

The next morning I woke up at 5:30 AM with a bad headache.  I let the dog out and laid on the couch for a bit but I could hear the kids starting to stir on the air mattress in the next room and soon they were fighting over the covers, i.e., my daughter was hogging them.  I went in to intercede and she told me she didn't have all the covers even though I was tugging at them to get them from her and had trouble doing so.  I could tell it was going to be a long day with the two of them so I decided to head back to bed.  Luckily I fell back asleep and woke up to a hearty breakfast of eggs, bacon and chocolate doughnuts.  Unfortunately the dads made the meal, but I was thankful for the extra rest and being able to get rid of the headache.

We talked and watched a little more TV before heading over to my parents' house.  It was nice to visit my whole family including the new baby and my niece's surprise visit from college!  My mom, hubby, myself and my niece played a game of Scrabble.  It was so unlike my mom to actually sit and relax that I did a double take and was so happy to spend that fun time with her.  (Found out she's a good Scrabble player too.)  We had an early dinner - steak, sugar snap peas, corn on the cob, watermelon, potato salad, cucumber salad and German chocolate cupcakes for dessert.  It was a great day!

Tuesday my son had his first soccer practice and had a great time.  It has been storming for over a week and his first one got rained out and this one was close to being rained out as well.  Luckily the clouds parted long enough for him to get one practice in.

SADNESS -
It has been a very difficult week for me for some reason.  Stress has taken a front seat even though I've tried to shake it.  I sometimes feel as though I am my own worst enemy.  If someone feels socially awkward and avoids being put in those situations ends up feeling isolated and lonely, whose fault is it?  Do you control your personality or does it control you?  As I walked to work this morning I was wondering why hurt comes so easily to me yet joy and happiness feel so far off even when I have every reason to feel them fully.  I once again wished I could turn my feelings into words on a page.  My passion to write somehow feels trapped.  Maybe I'm afraid of my own feelings.

THOUGHTS -
I've been anticipating the release of the new Eminem album - Recovery - for a long time and Monday the wait was finally over!!!  The rhyming and depth of emotion are phenomenal.  I'm still working to digest it all.  This man is truly a genius who struggles to fight his own demons despite his successes.  My favorite tracks so far..."Going Through Changes", "Space Bound" and "25 to Life".  All of them are so full of thought and emotion.  Fantastic!  I believe I'm addicted to Eminem...I just don't think I'll tire of his music no matter how much he releases.

CONFESSION -
Three words...Billy the Exterminator!  What a character!  For someone who hates bugs, I sure have seen a lot of them this week!  Thank goodness they were only on TV.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...