July 22, 2010

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - Another Year, Another Chapter

HAPPINESS:  My babies are getting older....

My son turned 9 on July 2nd.  We took him to see Toy Story 3 in 3D and enjoyed a pizza, giant slushie and a big tub of popcorn.  The movie is fantastic!  Seriously one of my fave animated movies of all time!  And, yes, I cried.  Big surprise, right??

My daughter turned 12 on July 5th.  We took her and a friend to a movie on the 4th - she chose to see Eclipse.  Afterward we went to see the fireworks which were AMAZING!  Hubby found the best spot so it looked like the fireworks were right above us...really special!  And my daughter had her friend sleep over.

We celebrated their birthdays with a party at our house on Sunday, July 11th.  We had an Eclipse theme (of the Twilight saga).  I made several black and red heart decorations to go along with the Eclipse decorations.  We made sandwiches, along with broccoli salad, Texas caviar and Fritos and fruit salad.  Also made a S'mores snack mix with Cinnamon Toast Crunch, mini marshmallows and a bag of chocolate chips.  Mom brought her world famous potato salad and a fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil salad and Ben made the cake - marble with chocolate frosting - per the kids' request.  His cakes are phenomenal and, after lots of prodding from us and other friends, he is starting to look into selling his to-die-for cheesecakes from his home. 

This was a hard birthday for me, partly because the kids are getting so big and I am constantly reminded of that, especially by my daughter who likes to think she's no longer a kid, and the fact that she can wear my shoes and some of my outgrown clothing doesn't help.  We have also had them stay home alone for certain days this summer when my niece isn't available to watch them.  We have also made grocery runs without them which is really, really nice, but also another symptom of time and change.  But even harder for me to deal with was the lack of money I was able to spend on their birthday gifts.  Now, we've never been extravagant with gifts and they have never complained but *I* know that what we were able to give this year was very little, I spent $20 or less on each kid. 

What is even more touching is the fact that a recent trip to Goodwill for clothes shopping was exciting for all of us.  We got a huge bag full of clothes for $45.  After that trip we went to Wal-Mart to buy each kid a fan for their room...something that they've been without all of these years.  Each got to pick out their own (my daughter chose pink and my son chose red) and got to carry them up to the cash registers.  On the way to the register I told them, "there's the rest of your birthday presents." and they were EXCITED and THANKFUL.  I felt so proud of them.  I know we've raised some great kids who deserve to be spoiled once in awhile.

This past weekend Hubby had a rare Saturday off.  We didn't do a lot during the day but watched Karate Kid (original) and then played some Badmitton in the backyard.  After the kids were in bed Hubby and I watched Book of Eli.  

Sunday we went to church and I spent part of the afternoon scrapping.  Then we took the kids to fly kites.  It was super windy so it was a fun day to fly them. 
Afterward we called our friend, Ben, to stop by for dinner.  Hubby was planning to make a crepe/mushroom/spinach dish from Julia Child's cookbook.  (I don't know the name of the recipe but I can get it for you if you want to know.)  Everything we have made from there is absolutely scrumptious and this was no exception!  We made the meal side-by-side and Ben brought a French silk pie for dessert.  It was decadent!  

Another share:  I made the BEST molasses cookies ever!  I adore them and the rest of the family is really chocolate chip cookie fans so I get to enjoy these several times before they are gone!  I halved the recipe and had enough to last me for a week.

SADNESS:  I felt like crying when I went to bed last night and again when I woke up this morning.  I don't know why...and I hate feeling this way.  Feeling headache-y most of the week too.

THOUGHTS:   Why can't I be the person I want to be?  I want to be more giving of myself, more carefree, more engaged, more outgoing, and happy.  My husband deserves a better wife, my kids deserve a better mother, and my job deserves more of my attention, yet I always feel like I neglect myself as well.  It is a no win feeling. 

CONFESSION:   I've been neglecting my Wii Fit and I miss it.  I've been eating a lot of Butterfinger and Nestle Crunch bars this week and not drinking enough water. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...