June 30, 2011

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - Father's Day, Babies and Braces

Sorry I skipped a week in there...where does the time go? 
Father's Day was a lot of fun this year.  I was able to visit my Dad and give him his card personally.  I loved the way the card turned out so much I made another one for my shop.  We picked up a rotisserie chicken and I made a yummy peach, onion and basil salad (from one of the recent Martha Stewart mags), and some cheesy fried potatoes for dinner.  It was a lovely day.

I did a good job on planning ahead for Hubby this year.  Since he's been a daddy for 12 years I decided we should tell him 12 things that we appreciate about him and match a gift to that.  The kids and I took some large tags and added what we appreciated to the front, decorated it all nicely, and then on the back I had them write specific things in their own words and handwriting.  I tied each one of the tags to its coordinating gift and we gave them to him throughout the day.  The kids loved bringing him the presents!  It actually got to be a battle between them as to who gave him the last present and who got to go next.  Here's a picture of the pile of gifts with their tags attached and the father's day card I made for him.
 


Here is what we came up with:
  1. Protector - Band Aid variety pack and liquid bandage
  2. Mr. Fix It - Teal blue duct tape cuz, ya know, duct tape fixes everything
  3. Helps With Homework - Study Smart aromatherapy spray purchased here.
  4. Watch Us Grow - Watermelon and radish seeds with decorative planters
  5. Cooks For Us - A badly needed oven mitt
  6. Plays With Us - Fender guitar picks in a lovely blue marble pattern
  7. Hard Working - A mean looking and sharp weeding tool
  8. Smart - A Mensa puzzle book for smart people 
  9. Silly - Silly string canisters
  10. Brave - A Navy Seals documentary
  11. Takes Us Places - A Cyclaws remote controlled car
  12. Just Being You - A framed photo of him and the kids
He's a great daddy and I think he really enjoyed the surprises!!

Last week we watched my niece.  It had been 10 years since we were responsible for a little person.  My daughter did a FABULOUS job taking care of her.  She just loves, loves, loves playing mama, and I know she's going to make a great mother one day.  My niece is extremely well behaved and all in all we had an excellent week.  If the weather had been nicer we would have ventured out more but we had a good time hanging out at home.

My daughter got her braces on this past Thursday.  She did great during the 90 minute ordeal.  Her teeth hurt quite a bit for a couple of days and I found out that children's ibuprofin no longer works with her so we switched to adult.  She had a hard time swallowing the pill but she managed and they worked.  She also talked Dad into buying Culver's on his way home from work...strawberry shake...score!

Lastly, our little chickaroo is now 4 weeks old and has gotten to be just a bit smaller than a football and almost entirely feathered.  The feathers around her neck are a lovely golden yellow - so pretty!  She is in the chicken coop full time and loves any human interaction.  She has chosen to find some pretty high spots to settle into but seems unsure of herself.  She also loves it when we cup her from underneath and let her legs dangle.  It is amazing how much you can become attached to a chicken.  Her three mates will be coming in August sometime.  Until then she rules the roost, literally.

Until next week...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...