May 10, 2007

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - I am Beautiful

Believe it or not I read this in Glamour magazine the other day.

Women are obsessed with making themselves look beautiful, and it goes to extremes.

Think about it. Botox, collagen injections, liposuction, hair coloring, highlights, manicures and pedicures, eyebrow waxing and tweezing, zit popping, extensive and expensive beauty regimens. I could go on and on.

I partake in a few of those beauty boosts myself.

But, the article said something very enlightening. Put yourself in a magnifying mirror and you are going to see imperfection. Even with all that we do to make ourselves look "beautiful" we still see flaws.

But, if you picked the prettiest woman in the whole wide world and gave her a magnifying mirror, she, too, will see imperfections in herself.

Wow...it really can't be said any better than that.

Looking at the way women fuss over themselves and still remain unsatisfied with their appearance, it truly is an epidemic of misguided values.

After thinking about this for awhile and (I'll be honest) comparing myself to some of the women they cited as being "obsessed" with their appearance, I started looking at this in an entirely different way. I realized that the times I feel most beautiful are not because of my appearance. It is because of the happiness I am feeling by just being me. What a great feeling.

Today I am thankful for being able to express my creative side and a big part of who I am in so many ways.

Today I am going to be happy with everything there is about me. Good and bad.

Today I am beautiful.

Today you are beautiful.

Just the way you are.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...