May 7, 2009

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - Excitement in Books and Movies

I can't believe it's been two weeks since my last Thoughts post. Work has still been very busy and I've also been struggling a bit with the "Who Am I?" question. It was just yesterday while I was emailing a friend that I stated "I just can't get enough creativity to fill me up." No matter how much time I devote to scrapbooking I still want to do more. I have also been considering getting into polymer clay, fabric piecing and possibly starting my own Etsy shop to sell some of my things. I LOVE all of this creativity. My mind literally bursts with colorful thoughts. It is invigorating and intoxicating.

Problem is, what I REALLY want to do, writing, gets pushed aside.

Second, how can I live creatively without neglecting my family?

Some really serious questions to consider.

I have noticed that my writing seems to gather a lot more interest than my scrapbooking does. I should be taking a hint, huh? So, I realize I can still scrap but I need to find a way to accomplish my writing goals. No one else is going to do it for me.

So, how does one become successful?

This is what I came up with:
  1. Engage in self promotion.
  2. Network with others in the field.
  3. Don't be afraid to take risks. A successful person has taken many risks to get where they are at.
  4. Work your ass off.
Three of these are difficult for me to do. I wonder if creative people tend to have a soft underbelly full of fear and doubt just waiting to be called on it. I have to get past that. (Being a Virgo and incredibly self-analyzing can be a real pain in the ass, but it also drives me to succeed in a way that can't be stopped.)

Are there any others you can think of?

My plan at the moment is to stop reading and posting in scrappy forums. (It is one of the greatest sources of time loss I can see.) I will continue to share my scrapbook pages here, but I will not share each one I create. I want to continue the Use Your Stash challenges.

My blog will include a lot more about writing/reading and things of that sort.

And I will establish myself with other writers and get networking.





I really, really need your support and encouragement as I go through this transition. Let me hear your comments, both good and bad.




Now, a bit of news to share.

Hubby's ankle was only severely sprained. No torn ligaments or broken bones. He does have an old fracture that was discovered.

I was passed over for the Urban Anthology design star competition. I had a blast doing it though and think I produced some great work along the way.

I am still doing well without the anti-depressant. Yeah!! It is super nice to only take 2 pills a day versus the 5 a day that I had taken at one time.

And two VERY exciting things to share:
American Ghost Hunter the Movie
Looks AMAZING. I can't wait!! I am so fascinated with the paranormal and have become a huge fan or Ryan Buell through Paranormal State.

I also read an extremely helpful book:
Revision: A Creative Approach to Writing and Rewriting Fiction by David Michael Kaplan


A VERY helpful book to look at writing and revising in a more creative way. It has helped me tremendously.

Now I'm off to put those skills to good use!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...