January 30, 2009

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - Update on Grandma

UPDATE: A few hours after this was originally posted I learned that my grandma had passed away. It appears to have been a peaceful transition for her.

It's not a big surprise to me that my Grandma has made it out of the hospital and nursing home and has been taken back to her home. Since her initial trip to the hospital (see January 1 News), we learned that she had a mild heart attack and was suffering from congestive heart failure. When I went to visit her a few days later, the doctor felt she'd need 24-hour care from now on and would no longer be able to go back home. But, I could see the fire in her and told my mom that I wouldn't be surprised if she made it home again. Well, almost a month later and after earlier signs of kidney failure, that's exactly where she is.

This is what Grandma wants and I think that's wonderful. The bad news is that she has no assistance there other than relying on my parents and her other daughter and son-in-law and a few other relatives. She will not have 24-hour care and will likely suffer because of it. I suspect she'll end up passing on at home. I can't say that I blame her for wanting that.

Let's just see if she makes it to 98 first. I won't be surprised if she does.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...