June 12, 2009

FRIDAY FLASHBACK - Brat Stop

One of my first jobs was at the Brat Stop in Kenosha, WI. My sister was a server there and got me a job at their ice cream counter/take out area. It was such a fun time for me because I'd get to spend a couple of days with my sister and her friends. She was 8 years older than me so probably not always a good influence but I looked forward to it.

A little bit off to the right of the entryway I stood in wait for customers wanting ice cream or to place a take out order. I remember how frightening the cash register was. Buttons, buttons and more buttons. I can't believe I maintained my composure as well as I did. I mean, I'm all alone here and my sister wasn't around a lot because she'd be really hustling to wait tables.

I especially hated the take out orders because I had to leave my post and go to the food pick up area *gasp* which was a counter much taller than I and with my limited vision I couldn't always tell which order was for take out. I mean we're talking brats in every order here people, not always easy to distinguish them, ya know? Not only that but I had to walk into the kitchen and pick up coleslaw, plastic ware and napkins and put them all in a bag. This was really frightening for me.

Thankfully, most of the time I received ice cream orders.* I had about 12 different ice cream flavors to deal with. One scoop or two? Cone or dish? I mean, this is really complicated stuff here people! The worst was the Peppermint Bark ice cream. I could NOT scoop it. It was the one flavor that was frozen very solid. I'd have to grab a waitress to help out on this so I always dreaded that a customer would request it.

Even though my sister was always very busy she'd check up on me and often help out if I needed it. It really was the start of my adult relationship with my sister (even though I was only 15 or 16 at the time). She always treated me with respect and care. That's just the way she was with everyone and one of the great attributes we heard expressed over and over again at her funeral.

What a great memory to have!

*I claim no proficiency in scooping ice cream, only eating it.




1 comment:

SALTZWORKS said...

How inspiring!!!

Loving the bright LO's in the next post too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...