March 25, 2010

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - Seriously? and a Makeup Survey

Seriously? It has been THREE weeks since my last Thursday Thoughts??? I really can't believe that. The days just fly by don't they??

This week has been very interesting to watch my kids grow and develop.

My son saw me wearing a 3/4 sleeve shirt the other day and looks at me and says, "Mom, that shirt is too small on you!" This is so ironic coming from someone who wears pants 2" too short, holes in the knees and takes a shower without using shampoo in his hair. *sigh* Anyway, I thought it was especially cute to hear the same words we have been saying to him repeated back like that!

Then I made some sugar cookies the other day and when he had one he looks at me and says "Mmmm...is that little bits of lemon peel in there?" with surprise and delight in his voice. I laugh and say "yes, there is lemon zest in the cookies" and wonder whether he will develop an interest in cooking one day. I mean how many 8 year old boys would notice that??

And finally, my preteen daughter who is obsessed with the Twilight books and movie, thinks that Justin Bieber is "sooo cute" and has about 20 posters all over her walls. It is such a delight to experience this with her, and then we have the big period talk last night. She has many questions: will it hurt? will it be a lot? what happens if I get it at school? I answer each question she has and encourage her to keep asking me any questions she has. So far we've been able to maintain that openness with one another and I hope it stays that way.

Since we were having such a grown-up talk I took the opportunity to warn her about some things that might occur in middle school, such as peer pressure, boyfriends, drugs, kissing and even suddenly not being friends with someone who you've called a good friend in the past. I try to prepare her for things that I've had to face in the past and hope she doesn't end up making the same mistakes I did, yet knowing she surely will make many. At this point she has good morals and good friends and a good head on her shoulders. One day though, I know I will find a full-blown teenager on my hands. I don't feel old enough to be a parent to a teenager.

Hubby and I just watched "Couples Retreat" with Vince Vaughn. I felt oddly sad after watching it because many of the issues that the couples faced were issues that we too face or have faced in the past. I would say of the four couples we are most similar to Vince Vaughn's relationship. If you've seen the movie, what couple could you relate to?

I recently splurged on some new makeup from Smashbox and I'm really loving it. Each spring I get the urge to purchase new makeup and have a new look, but this is the first time I've gone with such high quality purchases and so much $ spent at one time. I am adoring the blush and lip glosses especially and got a free sample of their mascara--Lash DNA--which I am totally in love with and plan to purchase a full sized tube once this sample runs out. The most expensive of my purchases was a new makeup brush. I need most of them so I will need to space that out.

I also tend to keep my makeup FOREVER. I have so much that I never use and really, none of it is high quality so what's the point in keeping it? I am thinking about starting fresh with this new collection and getting rid of the rest. Perhaps changing my makeup look twice a year and sticking to what I buy would be a better method. If I purchase higher quality products I may be happier with them day in and day out.

So, here's some questions for you...
  1. What is your favorite brand of makeup?
  2. Do you use "professional" brushes? If so which ones do you recommend?
  3. How often do you purge your makeup?
Until next week...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...