October 6, 2008

Food in San Antonio

One thing I love to document is prices. It amazes me how much prices can change in just one year. I can still remember believing we were in crisis once gas rose above $3 a gallon and now, just a few years later, we're happy if it's under $4. I love to listen to those "Remember when . . ." conversations.

I want to keep a record of my more memorable meals in San Antonio. I will incorporate this into a scrapbook page somehow. Perhaps you can find a way to do this too?

9/24/08 at 7:17 PM
Joe's Crab Shack-Riverwalk
Cheesecake Sampler $4.69
Mojito $6.99
The cheesecakes...OMG...four small slices of cheesecake on one plate...ALL FOR ME! It was over-indulgent and I couldn't finish them all though I tried my hardest! The mojito was fabulous! Cheesecake and alcohol. Sounds yummy doesn't it?? LOL!!

9/25/08 at 9:37 PM
Boudro's on the Riverwalk
Seared Gulf Tuna $21.00
Prickly Pear Margarita $7.00
Guacamole $8.00 (split into 10)
Boudro's is one of the fancier restaurants I've been too. Each night it was PACKED with people standing along the riverwalk waiting to be seated. Reservations are a must. I knew we'd be in for some great food. A party of 10 - the earliest reservation we could get was 8PM - many others attending the conference weren't able to get reservations at all and had to go elsewhere. It was clear we were at the "IT" spot.

The waitress was extremely accommodating and personable. It's one of the few places I've been where the customer actually gets put first. We ordered guacamole which would be prepared fresh table side. We got to see just how to choose a ripe avocado and each item that was placed into the mixture. My first bite must have included some of the serrano pepper because it was HOT!! I wouldn't take another bite for most of the meal, but eventually tried it again and was spared the heat.

We were told we couldn't leave without trying a prickly pear margarita. Out comes this large margarita glass with a light green and berry colored mixture with a lime wedge on the rim. I did not stir mine but drank where these two beautiful mixtures met. It was a lovely blend of salty with sweet with a little different taste to it.

This was the first time I've eaten fresh tuna steak so I had them prepare it medium rare as the waitress recommended. It was delicious with a slightly spicy sauce on top and steamed vegetables along the side. Service was outstanding.

9/26/08 at 1:15 PM
La Frite Belgian Bistro
Crab Crepe $10.50
Iced Tea $2.50
This was a quaint bistro a few blocks from our training center. It gave me images of small town Italy - just a whole different place and feel to it. The crab crepe was awesome. I couldn't believe how much crab there was for $10.50. The waitress was the cutest little thing and reminded me very much of my cousin, Sue. This is one of the few restaurants with a real hometown feel to it. Service wasn't rushed, conversation wasn't phony but sincere and relaxed.


1 comment:

vtpuggirl said...

Neat idea to document the prices. Very cool!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...